Thursday, February 20, 2014

Personal Pronouns

 
This is a table I made to show the different cases of a pronoun.
 
A pronoun changes its form depending on the case. This knowledge is very useful as it will end the confusion with regards to pronoun usage.
 
If you study the table above you can say that:
 
1. Nominative Cases are as follows: I, you, he, she, it, we, you, they.
2. Objective Cases are as follows: me, you, him, her, it, us, you, them.
3. Possessive Adjective Cases are as follows: my, your, his, her, its**, our your, there.
4. Possessive Cases are as follows: mine, yours, his, hers, its**, ours, yours theirs.
 
I will explain some of my important learning in my own words and understanding (in attempt to make it in layman's term). This is for me not to forget.
 
Nominative Cases
Nominative cases are used if the pronoun is the subject or is the same as the noun in the sentence.
 
For example:
1. He is nice.
2. The thief is he.
3. You and I are something.
 
Usual grammatical mistake is that people tend to use objective case of pronoun when it is supposed to be the nominative case.
 
For example, it is wrong to say "The thief is him", although we always hear it. Correct way of saying it is "The thief is he."
 
According to our book, only using "I instead of me" is acceptable as it is always used even though technically it is grammatically incorrect.
 
For example. "It is me." -acceptable for common usage, but the correct form should be- "It is I." 
 
(In Tagalog: Gagamit ka lang ng nominative case ng noun kapag yung subject ng sentence ay yung pronoun o kaya kung yung pronoun e kino-complement yung subject, o kaya siya din yung subject mismo kasi iisa lang naman talaga sila.
 
Example: He is nice. (Ang "he" ay isang example ng nominative case ng isang noun. Ginamit natin ang he dito kasi siya ang subject. Hindi mo naman pwedeng sabihin "Him is nice." Another example ay: "The thief is he." Medyo pangit pakinggan kasi madalas na natin nagagamit at naririnig ang mali. Mas maganda kasi pakinggan ang "The thief is him", pero mali talaga yun. Tatandaan na yung Thief at yung "he" ay iisa lang na tao talaga, therefore parehong subject, so dapat nominative case talaga ang gamit. Ulitin natin: "The thief is he." para yang "It is I." Grammatically speaking, "It is I" ang tama, hindi "It is me.")
 
Objective Cases
Objective cases are used for pronouns used as an object of the verb or preposition (in, on, at, to, between, from) Use the objective case of the pronoun if the pronoun is preceded by a preposition. Use the objective case of the pronoun as well if the pronoun acts as the object of the verb, normally action word)
 
For example:
 
1.I love him. (Him is the object of the verb "love")
2. Nika gave the food to him. (Him is the object of preposition "to")
 
(In tagalog: Gagamitin mo ang objective case ng isang pronoun every time na makakakita ka ng preposition. Isang example ng objective case ng pronoun ay him. Laging merong preposition sa unahan ng objective cased pronoun. Example na lang -to him, on him, for him. Hindi mo naman pwedeng sabihing- to he, on he, o kaya for he. Ang sagwa. Hehe.
 
Bukod dun, gagamitin mo din ang objective case ng isang pronoun kapag object ito ng isang verb. Dapat laging may action word sa unahan nito. Example: "I love him" "Nika gave the food to her." Di mo naman pwedeng sabihing I love he, o kaya Nika gave the food to she. Ang sagwa ulit. Hehe)
 
 
******Possessive Adjective and Possessive Pronouns will follow as I have no time now, I need to prepare for grammar school. Ciao! I'll edit this part. I also need to make a blog about Indefinite pronouns. Later, we are tackling verbs the hardest part of speech to study about! I might even create a short video presentation about all the things I learned so that I have something to look back every time I forget!
 
 
Booklet activity (Page 26, exercise B)
 
Paragraph construction.

My Favorite TV Program

One of my all-time favorite TV program is FRIENDS. It is a situational comedy (sitcom) about 5 friends on their late 20s and how they together share and face real life situations as adults. I love FRIENDS because aside from the fact that it is very funny, it is also very relatable. For example, one can easily relate to one of the main characters, Rachel Green, as she struggles in living independently without her parents. Another main character, Ross Geller, is also very relatable as he struggles in secretly admiring Rachel on the first season of the show. Who hasn’t had the same experience as theirs, even just for a short period of time in one’s past?

FRIENDS is a show that you can watch all over and over again as it never gets boring. Its characters are diverse, witty and very real. As you jump from one season to another, you’ll see the character’s growth, and you can’t help but feel happy for them as if they are your real friends. Truly, FRIENDS is a must-watch if you haven’t seen it yet. Make sure you watch all the seasons for a complete, enjoyable watching experience.  
---------------------
 
Now let us identify the pronoun cases per sentence. 
 
1. One of my all-time favorite TV program is FRIENDS. (my- possessive adjective case)
2. It is a situational comedy (sitcom) about 5 friends on their late 20s and how they together share and face real life situations as adults. (It- nominative case, their- objective case, they- nominative case)
3. I love FRIENDS because aside from the fact that it is very funny, it is also very relatable. (I- nominative, it- nominative, it- nominative)
4. For example, one can easily relate to one of the main characters, Rachel Green, as she struggles in living independently without her parents.  (she- nominative, her- possessive adjective)
5. Another main character, Ross Geller, is also very relatable as he struggles in secretly admiring Rachel on the first season of the show. (he-nominative)
6. Who hasn’t had the same experience as theirs, even just for a short period of time in one’s past? (theirs- possessive)
7. FRIENDS is a show that you can watch all over and over again as it never gets boring. (it- nominative)
8. Its characters are diverse, witty and very real. (Its- possessive)
9. As you jump from one season to another, you’ll see the character’s growth, and you can’t help but feel happy for them as if they are your real friends. (you- nominative, you-nominative, them- objective, they- subjective, your- possessive adjective)
10. Truly, FRIENDS is a must-watch if you haven’t seen it yet. (you- nominative, it- nominative) 
11. Make sure you watch all the seasons for a complete, enjoyable watching experience.   (you-nominative)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment